Wiley Hall History

Wiley Hall opened in 1958 and was named for Harvey W. Wiley. Harvey Wiley was born on October 18, 1844, at Kent, Indiana. He received his bachelor's degree from Hanover College and his doctor of medicine from Indiana Medical College in 1871.

Wiley achieved many great things in his life. He was the first professor of chemistry at Purdue University. He focused his knowledge of medical science on the problems of food adulteration and marshaled the attention of his fellow physicians on the necessity of legal standards to safeguard food and drugs. His experiments with sugar-producing crops led to the modern era of cane sugar production and formed the basis of the United States beet sugar industry, of which he is known as the "father."

Wiley also introduced the polariscope into America, devised new pieces of apparatus, and originated new methods of procedure as he modernized and standardized the methods of chemical analysis. The development of analytical chemistry, in which his was a major role, revealed the chemical composition of foods and made possible the detection of adulteration.

The District of Tradition Neighborhood

The District of Tradition is the name of the neighborhood for the grouping of residence halls dedicating to building and maintaining strong, healthy, lasting traditions. With a goal to develop a strong brand and pride in the halls, the District of Tradition sees some of the most dedicated and connected RAs on campus, boasting some of the highest rates of return for residents to the building at Purdue. Many seniors graduate from the buildings in the District of Tradition and the professional staff are dedicated to empowering students to be some of the best, brightest and self-driven leaders in the world. With a high energy, strong sense of dedication and incredible feelings of pride, the District of Tradition is happy to welcome you to the neighborhood!