Auxiliary Housing

Shreve Hall offers one example of temporary housing space

Welcome to University Residences - Auxiliary Housing! 

All students who have a signed housing contract by May 5 are guaranteed a living space in University Residences for the upcoming academic year. Due to the continued popularity of living on campus with returning students and a large freshman class, not every student receives their permanent residential assignment immediately. To meet housing commitments, University Residences provides auxiliary space for students with signed housing contracts. 

Based on availability, students may begin the fall semester in auxiliary housing but will receive a permanent space as soon as one is available. University Residences staff will assist students in moving their personal belongings to the new space.  Most students are reassigned by October Break, but in all cases, by semester break.

The auxiliary room rate is set at University Residences' lowest double room rate.  However, once the student moves to a permanent space, the rate will be adjusted accordingly.

University Residences has taken steps to ensure students in auxiliary spaces experience the same benefits as those assigned to traditional spaces. University Residences has a dedicated staff member, a housing transition coordinator, for those students initially assigned to auxiliary housing. This individual is committed to making the student experience in auxiliary housing positive and will communicate with the student throughout the entire process of transitioning to a permanent assignment. 

Locations Auxiliary or Converted Spaces in Campus Residence Halls 
Style of Housing Various Arrangements
Moving Assistance Provided YES
Meal Plan YES
Resident  Assistant  Support YES
Academic and  Community  Activities YES
BGR Eligible YES
Rate  (room only/semester) $1,223

Click to watch:

Auxiliary Housing FAQs

University Residences Housing Contract Process

View list of New Resident Contract frequently asked questions on the New Resident Contract website.

How long will I be in Auxiliary Housing?

Permanent room assignments are made on a continuing basis as openings occur.  Some students are assigned prior to classes starting, others are assigned throughout the semester.  In all cases, students receive permanent room assignments by the end of the fall semester at the latest.  

What is the rate?

The rate for auxiliary housing is the lowest on-campus room rate available.  This is equal to the small double rate of $1223 per semester.  Meal plans are separate.  Once a student moves to a permanent space assignment, the student is charged the pro-rated amount for that room for the number of nights they will live there.

Will I have a roommate?

It will depend on the room assigned to you.  Some auxiliary spaces are singles, others are double or triple occupancy, and some spaces accommodate up to ten students.

Can I stay in auxiliary housing for the year?

All students will move to permanent spaces by the start of spring semester. 

Can I cancel my housing contract?

Students must fulfill the terms of the University Residences contract for the entire academic year if in attendance at Purdue University’s West Lafayette campus. Contract termination is not considered for students seeking residence in a private home, apartment, sorority/fraternity, cooperative housing or any other residence at any time during the academic year.

What furniture will be provided?

Every student receives a single bed, desk or table with lamp, dresser, and/or closet/wardrobe.

Can I pick which hall/room I will move into for permanent housing?

Room type and roommate preferences submitted on your housing contract are considered when final assignments are made, but cannot be guaranteed. If your room type and/or roommate preferences change after arrival to campus, you may contact the Housing Transition Coordinator to update your preferences. The priority is to move each student to a permanent room as quickly as possible.

Will I have the option to pick a different residence if I am not happy with the assignment I receive?

All students must move to their permanent room within five business days of assignment.  We accept hall transfer requests at spring semester.

Will I have an RA?

All auxiliary room assignments have an RA assigned to them.  You will have a new RA once you move to your permanent space.

Will someone help me move out of auxiliary housing?

The Housing Transition Coordinator notifies you of your new space the day it's assigned.  You will have five business days to schedule moving assistance and move to your new room assignment.  It is your responsibility to pack your personal items and be ready to move at your scheduled time.

Do I have the option to move myself or have my parents come help me move?

If you prefer to move yourself with your parents’ help, you are welcome to do so as long as you complete your move by the end of the fifth business day noted in your assignment notification.


Contact the Purdue University Residences Housing Transition Coordinator:


Phone: (765) 494-4140