McGhee, Messerly Honored with Staff Achievement Award

Jeremy McGhee, residential advocacy and conduct coordinator, and Tyler Messerly, residence education coordinator (REC) assistant in Meredith South Residence Hall, have been awarded the Bill Berner Staff Achievement Award.

The award recognizes staff members whose mentorship and personal attention to students and staff reflects that of Bill Berner, a long-time University Residences employee who made a significant impact with his individual attention to students during his tenure. Bill C. Berner, for whom the award is named, began his Purdue career in 1955 as manager of X Hall, now known as Meredith Residence Hall. He later served as the first manager of H-1 (now Owen Hall) and H-3 (Wiley Hall). In 1969, he was named the associate director of residence halls.

Photo for

McGhee has been a member of the Residential Life team for four years. In his role, McGhee focuses on student advocacy, crisis response and student conduct. He led the creation and implementation of an educational campaign that raised student awareness to the growing issues of online financial and sexual extortion. As part of these measures, he gathered data to assess the scope of the concern and researched ways students can remain vigilant in the digital world.

McGhee is also praised for his commitment to building community and connecting with residents in Hawkins Hall on a personal level.

“Responsible for cultivating and maintaining a community of roughly 700 students of all walks of life, Jeremy made intentional efforts to connect with his residents,” wrote one nominator. “Uniquely positioned on campus and hosting a fair number of single occupancy rooms, building community can be a challenge. However, it did not take long for Jeremy to build a reputation within Hawkins as a trusted staff member who would always lend a listening ear to students.”

One resident assistant in Hawkins noted the efforts McGhee made to make her feel welcome and instill confidence in her role.

“As the semester began, my floor proved to be very chaotic,” wrote the student. “Luckily though, I had Jeremy to support me every step of the way. Of course, when I did something wrong, he corrected me, but he would also praise me when I did something well. When I was overwhelmed and tried not to let it show, he noticed and helped me. Later in the year, Jeremy encouraged me to be a leader on staff saying he knew I was capable of it. I struggle with my confidence. Hearing this from someone I look up to uplifted and motivated me.”

Photo for

Messerly currently serves in his role as REC assistant while completing a graduate degree in industrial engineering. He supervises a staff of 17 and a residence hall of first-year, female residents in addition to serving as a resource for residents, desk staff and the hall club. He serves on multiple committees, including assisting with student staff training and the development of conference sessions for training. He has also assisted with the analytics for crisis response across all of University Residences, ensuring that all zones of on-call coverage are equitable and accessible. Tyler is lauded for his ability to connect with RAs in Meredith South.

“Tyler has been an incredible supervisor,” wrote a student nominator. “He's very organized, efficient, and runs the building in a quality manner. He does a great job making staff and residents feel welcomed and is someone that I feel comfortable asking questions and going to advice for. It blows my mind knowing that there are days where Tyler will stay at Meredith South working past midnight. Tyler is never without a smile on his face and energy that is given to the staff. As RAs we know that Tyler cares and will do anything for us. He wants us to be successful." 

Messerly has made an impact across the Cornerstone neighborhood by organizing a neighborhood council where RAs could meet with professional staff to discuss their communities. He provided invaluable assistance to new staff and helped fill areas of need by assisting with University Residences conduct cases. RAs in Wiley Hall have also highlighted his impact.

“From the first day of student staff training, the Wiley Hall RAs have done nothing but continuously make a point to tell me how ‘Tyler is the reason I stay in Wiley,’ or ‘Tyler is the best you’ll ever meet,’” wrote a nominator.

The Bill Berner Staff Achievement Award is presented through the support of the late Donald L. Heirman, who passed away at the age of 80 on October 30, 2020 in Lincroft, N.J. Heirman created the award to honor the mentorship and personal attention he received from Berner, as well as in memory of his wife, Lois. It was thanks to Berner’s encouragement that Donald got to know Lois. The couple were married in 1963 and enjoyed 45 years of marriage. The award continues to be bestowed annually in honor of Berner and the support of Heirman.

Written by: Matthew Vader, Writer, Student Life Marketing

Writer: Matt Vader | Editors: Tammy Loew, Renee Kashawlic, Danielle Fawbush

Editorial Board: Barb Frazee, Tammy Loew, Renee Kashawlic | Inquiries Contact: studentlifemarketing@purdue.edu

Subscribe to Get ReConnected newsletter.